OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2018

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2018 08:55:46 -0400
Please join local entomologist, butterfly and moth expert Scott Hogsten for
his program Bugs, Bugs, Birds and the Web of Life.

A foray into the insects of Ohio,  their relationship to birds, and the web
of life.  He will touch on some of the other relationships like spider webs
and hummingbird nests.

Scott has been a presenter at the Midwest Native Plant Society and
Mothapalooza conferences. He is a VP at JP Morgan Chase and is a recent
graduate of the Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist program in central Ohio.

Meetings are held in the lodge at Deer Haven Park at 4183 Liberty Road,
Delaware OH, 43015. Doors open at 6:30 PM, programs begin at 7:00 PM and are
followed by reports of local bird sightings and socializing. Meeting dates
can also be found on the Preservation Parks calendar at this link
http://www.preservationparks.com/events-calendar/ and at the Columbus
Audubon calendar here: https://columbusaudubon.org/events/    Guests are
welcome!!

Future meetings are:

November 19th: "The Eagles of Panhandle Rd - 22 Years of Watching 'Patch' at
her Nest", Chet Snouffer.

     Chet has been watching this Delaware County nesting bald eagle pair
since their arrival in 1996 when he lived on Panhandle Road. Their nest was
a mile upriver and the pair would hang out at the river bend by his house.
After connecting with Dick Tuttle and Dick Phillips, Chet started taking
copious notes and became the default nest watcher for ODNR.

     Chet has 22 years of records on "Patch" the sole female and the five
males for this site. He will share lots of photos and data on their
incubations, fledges, success rates and the 6 nests they have built over
that time, including the infamous "Big Day with the Eagles" when he had five
birds at once competing for the mating rights! Aerial battles, derring do's
and much more!

December 10th: "Preview and Organization for the Delaware Reservoir
Christmas Bird Count", Rich Bradley, Associate Emeritus Professor, The Ohio
State University.

     Rich will review the history of the Christmas Bird Count, focusing on
our count here in Delaware. This year the count takes place on December 16th
and will be the 31st annual count for our circle. This is a great
opportunity for birders new to our area to learn about the Christmas Bird
Count and how to participate. We will discuss counting techniques as well as
have some fun estimating flock size from photographs. We will also challenge
you to identify some mystery photos and/or sounds.

January 28th: "Chasing the (F)light", Tom Sheley.

     As a photographer and naturalist, Tom has been chasing the light to
document the flight of migratory birds for many years. Join Tom on a quest
to witness spring migrants and resident birds along the Great Texas Coastal
Birding Trail, culminating in a South Texas Big Day. Tom's photographic
journal will accompany a dialog to understand the innate drive to migrate
and the challenges these birds face along the way. Tom will also share some
hotspots for those wishing to experience the exceptional birding in South
Texas.