Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 18:17:09 GMT
Those weary of this subject are welcome to delete the following without reading further.

Frankly, I am happy to see that Mary presented the DOW case on this subject, but there is far more to the story that what comes from government sources alone. In 2006 Bill Whan presented this list with links to a number of sources addressing this subject, to balance the coverage. I have no idea whether all of the below links are still active, but I read them at the time. I found them illuminating. The subject arguably is more suited to a discussion on the OOS Forum, but this list reaches far more birders, and I feel it is very important. I reiterate the 2006 list of sources, along with Bill's accompanying explanatory text (begging his indulgence for doing so) below:

Canadian Wildlife monograph:  "The Rise of the Double-crested Cormorant on the Great Lakes: Winning the War Against Contaminants" http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/wildlife/factsheets/fs_cormorants-e.html
This document is essential reading, because it relies on concerns and  studies different from those emanating from Federal and State wildlife agencies, and offers several contrasting  slants on issues.

-

Comments on draft EIS by a Michigan DNR official
http://www.northcountrytrail.org/news/cormnt2.htm
This comment on a parallel proposal for the state of Michigan comes from, and widely reflects the views of, state wildlife spokesmen in the Great Lakes US states. Burgoyne regards as legitimate concerns about the impacts of cormorants on recreational and commercial human activities (i.e., fisheries).  He calls for educational efforts, but not by the State of Michigan.

-

USF&WS documents on cormorant management
http://www.northcountrytrail.org/news/cormnt2.htm
A large collection of resources, many quite good, on this species, concentrating on the Midwestern region and the Great Lakes.

-

Michigan program
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364---,00.html
A report from the Michigan DNR on cormorants in the state and plans to control them.

-

The Birds of North America account
Hatch, J., D. Weseloh. 1999. Double-crested cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus). Pp. 1-36 in A. Poole, F. Gill, eds. The Birds of North America, Vol. 441. Philadelphia, PA: The Birds of North America, Inc.  Not freely available on-line, but at major libraries.

-

Comments from a Congressman from Michigan
http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/mi01_stupak/cormorant101905.html
Statements from Bart Stupak of Michigan that reflect widespread views of his constituents and contributors.

-

Symposium proceedings: Midwest cormorant populations
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/is/cormorants/with_pics.html
A good collection of papers, including an unpublished one on West Sister Island, from a symposium conducted by APHIS Wildlife Services, formerly called Animal Damage Control.

-

Audubon Ohio and Columbus Audubon statements
http://www.columbusaudubon.org/conservation/phalacrocorax.html
Statements on cormorant control from these two organizations.

-

Three newspaper articles on Ohio cormorant control plans
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/oh/061105_great_lakes.htm
Edited version of an Akron Beacon Journal article, based in part on interviews with an ODOW spokesman, about the issue, and  http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/oh/082103_great_lakes.htm
a less detailed one from the Port Clinton News Herald.
Also, Steve Pollick's outdoors column in the Toledo Blade covered the issue: http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articleAID=/20050522/COLUMNIST22/505220400/-1/SPORTS09

-

A fisheries biologist on Ohio cormorants
http://www.epa.state.oh.us/oleo/ncn/ncn2005/mayjune05.pdf
Article on cormorants in Ohio by an ODOW fisheries biologist; no mention of specific controls planned.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County