OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2017 14:24:06 -0400
I found lots of bird activity around these 2 metroparks near Groveport, south of Columbus, this morning.  Plenty of birds were still in song, with some feeding youngsters.  Water levels in the area are ridiculously high, so many potential heron & shorebird haunts (Borrow pits, Cruiser Pond) are far too deep for them.  A cluster of 14 Great Egrets and 2 Great Blues in a flooded farm field along Old Hamilton Rd north of Groveport reflected this fact.  other birds of note included:

Yellow-billed cuckoos - calling birds near the Confluence at 3-Creeks and in the Tall Pines area of Walnut Woods

Swallows - 5 species at Cruiser Pond (martin,Tree,Rough-wing,Bank,& Barn), small groups at many other locations

warblers - in addition to the expected CommonYellowthroats & Yellows, I also had Yellow-throateds at 2 spots and a singing Black&White along the Confluence Trail in 3-Creeks

Rose-br.Grosbeaks - a spare breeder here, I had a female at the Confluence area and a singing juvenile along the Blacklick Bikepath south of US33

Bobolink - a scruffy male starting to molt was still in the field along Richardson Rd across from the Tall Pines area of Walnut Woods