OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2021

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:32:12 -0500
I am taking advantage of the snow covered fields. And the birds are taking
advantage of the road edges! 31 Lapland Longspurs - Ellis Lincoln Rd. Waynesville.
I had checked ebird beforehand for Horned Larks. Since I don't know the area,
I had wanted to get an idea where the good farm field areas were. That worked!
Longspurs for Warren county.

Caeser Creek looked mostly frozen, but I didnt check everywhere.

On to Clinton county. Same thing - I checked ebird to get an idea of locations.

Had scattered flocks of Horned Larks around. Snow seemed deeper here.
Not too many road edges either. But one in particular was good - Cowman rd.
Wilmington. 4 Horned Larks. And a Snow Bunting! Good one for my SW Ohio
big year! I didn't track down any Longspurs in Clinton though.

I do want to try and get to Brown County next field birding trip.

Round 5 or whatever for the snow Thursday. Winter finches in my yard??
Not holding my breath.....

Hundreds of Song and WT Sparrows and Juncos at the road edges.
A few Fox Sparrows also.  Somewhere in Warren.

I don't do long miles lists for ebird.

Thanks for the responses to my question! I admit to being surprised, but
everyone said these Longspur concentrations are normal. Maybe a bit higher
numbers. Wow!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini