OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:45:06 -0400
The most productive areas are north from the Price Street bridge all the way to the east and west side of the 225 bridge. I happened to run into Ben Morrison after I had walked the flats south of Price Street bridge ( which offered little). Ben had tips from Kent Miller that there were Western and White-Rumped Sandpipers?out there today along with numerous others. Ben did the tallying and asked me to post it.
We mostly birded the east and west sides of the 225 bridge, due to time.? I have only listed the shorebirds.

Killdeer 355
Semipalmated Plover 3
American Golden Plover 4
Buff-Breasted Sandpiper 10
Stilt Sandpiper 18
Least Sandpiper 39
Semipalmated Sandpiper 41
White-Rumped Sandpiper 2
Western Sandpiper 2
Baird's Sandpiper 6
Pectoral Sandpiper 52
Solitary Sandpiper 4
Spotted Sandpiper 3
Short-Billed Dowitcher 1
Sanderling 3
Ruddy Turnstone 2
Lesser Yellowlegs 47
Greater Yellowlegs - Ben did not? have any on the list he gave me, however I think he?just forgot to write them down. I know there were at least several I remember seeing.
I think 18 species of shorebirds for two hours of birding this far inland is not too shabby. It will be interesting to see what the total for the?season is for this area.
One more thing. I have only ever seen one Buff-breasted Sandpiper on two different occasions. This has really been a lot of fun. Every time I go out there are more!? I'm starting to wonder if I died and went to heaven.
Maybe I will see some of you on the flats in the comming days. Good luck.

Shari Jackson