OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2018

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:00:27 +0000
     This morning I walked along the Little Walnut Creek section of the Hoover Nature Preserve in Galena (Delaware County) to monitor the activity in the area. From the beginning I was constantly within hearing of singing male Prothonotary Warblers. Last week we tried to monitor the area by boat but were stopped by a fallen tree that spanned the creek. I worked the area past the downed tree today and observed 10 Male and 1 female Prothonotary Warbler. Currently some are carrying food to cavities or nest boxes. Only one of the individuals I observed today had previously been banded. I got to introduce the Prothonotary Warblers to some new people. They were curious as to what I was doing so I explained to them and their grandchild about the nest box trail at Hoover Reservoir. As if on cue a male began singing nearby. I gave a small "phish" and he came in to less than 15 feet of us. The couple and their grandchild are now appreciative of Prothonotaries. Sometimes I think they are part "hams" that want to show off.
    Further up the creek (no pun intended) I discovered a Hooded Merganser hen. No sign of ducklings today but they have nested in this area in previous years.
    Both Red-headed and Pileated Woodpecker nest holes were located along the creek. Both species were quite vocal this morning. The Red-headed Woodpeckers were especially vivid as their white shown like a waved flag as they flew. They have one of the purest white colors of the birds which makes it easy to spot them if they are around. They are having a very good year at Hoover Reservoir this year as Shaune and I seem to be finding them everywhere.
    Other birds observed include Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Green Herons, Acadian Flycatchers and Wood Ducks among others.
    Charlie Bombaci, Hoover Nature Preserve