From:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 08:02:41 -0400
Hello all
Here is the run down of some southern Ohio biridng on Sunday

INTERSECTION OF SR 33 AND 270 SOUTH OF COLUMBUS -
two BLACK VULTURES sitting on a cracker barrel billboard with a few turkey vultures.  Only the Second time I've seen them this close to Columbus.

ROCK HOUSE-
Good numbers of the following
Scarlett Tanagers - common all day at many places
Cerulean Warblers - " "
Wood Thrush - " "
Lousianna Waterthrush - " "
Hooded Warblers - " "
Overbird - " "
and lots of other more common stuff

Also,
Pine Warbler - singing about a half a mile south of the park in some large pines.
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER - singing along the trail from the south parking lot to the steps that lead down to the gorge.
VEERY - one in the same area as the blackburnian

OLD MAN'S CAVE-
HERMIT THRUSH - carrying food along the rim trail opposite side of the gorge from the parking lot.
Canada Wabler - singing along the rim.
nothing else strange, many of the same things that were at rock house.

Zaleski St. Forest -
Same warblers as the other places, but I also had the following-
Kentucky Warbler - these were hard to come by, only had about 5 all day.  Do they stop singing in the afternoon(?) or are they just not as common as the other warblers down here.
WILD TURKEY - several in the area

LAKE HOPE -
Great birding but mostly the same stuff as Zaleski and the Hocking hills area.  This area needs much more attention from ohio birders.  There is a huge Lily pad swamp about a half a mile away from lake hope that seems like it could produce a purple gallinule some day.

Lake Katherine- This place is really neat and has lots of great birds and butterflies, but I got there at a bad time of day, and not much was singing.  I really want to go back there in the morning.

Pickaway County Airport -
Spent a few minutes here looking for Blue Grosbeak, but dipped on them.  The area was CRAWLING with Dickcissels and quite a few chats.  The fields surrounding also had vesper sparrow, grasshopper sparrow, savannah sparrow and other common field birds.

ALSO -
There are some great fields further down the rd that goes to the airport from 23.  I had probably close to 50 Dickcissels in the area, maybe more.  This area looks great for sedge wrens and Henslows sparrows.  I did here a Henslow's, but only one and it was far off.  It's the first time I've heard them here though.

In Logan County- my aunt had a female BLUE GROSBEAK visting their feeder this week.  She has some great photos and I heard a male singing while I was there.  This marks the fourth location in two years I have had them up here.  Last year they nested near the Bellefontaine YMCA, but they have not returned as the field they were in was mowed down for apparently no reason.

All in all, it was a good weekend.   I didn't find any Swainson's warblers, but I would say Lake Katherine looks the best that I have seen.  Thanks to everyone who gave me some helpful places to check.  I will try to reply to each of you, but it might be a couple days as I have to use the work computer.  Hope everyone has a good summer,
Troy Shively