OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:49:40 -0400
Bob's points are well taken, but they do seem to put us on the horns of a
dilemma.  On the one hand, our conclusions must be stated with great
circumspection given the difficulties with the data sources that we have.
So clearly we need better data sources.  But, on the other hand, if we wait
to draw conclusions until we have the kind of data that we might desire, the
conclusions at that point may well be that various species of interest are
extirpated.

My guess (and hope) is that Audubon scientists did the best that they could
with the data that they had because to wait for better data would simply be
to miss the problems that we all think are, in fact, occurring.

Kind of reminds one of the climate change debate.  The strategy that
skeptics first adopted was to claim that the data was insufficient to
support the (then tentative and qualified) conclusions.  Now that "good"
data has been amassed and consensus about the reality of the effects has
been achieved, these same skeptics now claim that it's too late to do
anything about the problem and we should learn to live with it!  Substitute
"decline of species" for "climate change" and you'll get the idea.

Note:  I am *not* attributing "obstructionist" motives to Bob, just pointing
out the larger issue:  we are, to some extent, in a "damned if you do,
damned if you don't" situation.

Bill Heck

--
Bill Heck