OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
Barbara Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:42:37 -0500
This one should be noted as an 80% sure sighting. I was driving home from
the Dayton airport today in the early afternoon on U.S. 40 (I hate
Interstates). A very large raptor flew across when I was just east of
Vandalia. Much too big for a red-tailed hawk and not shaped right! I didn't
get a good look at it at all, but it had very broad wings and had  a
humungous amount of white on it. I am almost certain it was a snowy, but I
was operating on very little sleep the night before, so can't be sure. It
was flying from the area of the Taylorsville reserve and possibly headed for
the Englewood Reserve. Woke me up!! I drove home the rest of the way on the
back roads, hoping for something else interesting!

Barbara Mann, Yellow Springs, OH