OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:33:07 -0500
To quickly chime in on the topic of American Kestrel declines, also consider
submitting observations of this species to the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II,
if you haven't already done so.  We can use everyone's breeding observations
for this species in addition to breeding observations for all other species
in the state.  If you have detailed field records of breeding activity for
American Kestrels (any date in 2006) or just casual observations between May
15 and July 31 of this year, please let us know.  Even if you know the
location of a kestrel nest box, let us know so we can stake it out for the
coming breeding season.  Atlas staff can be reached at 614-247-6458 or by
email at [log in to unmask]  We would be more than happy to talk with you
about your observations and help to determine what atlas blocks they were
recorded in.

Go to http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?viewResults=1 to access a
mapping tool that will map the current data received for each species.
Also, click on the blue highlighted link "View Previous Atlas Data" to view
distribution maps from the 1st Ohio atlas.  It's certainly WAY too early in
the project to make any conclusions about changes in the Ohio distribution
of American Kestrels, especially considering the variation in the amount of
survey effort that has gone into each atlas block.  However, I did find it
interesting that of the nearly 600 atlas blocks that currently have data,
155 have records for kestrels (26%).  During the 1st Ohio breeding bird
atlas, kestrels were recorded in 702 out of 764 blocks with data (92%).  I
wouldn't necessarily consider kestrels to be difficult to detect when
present and this certainly isn't a direct comparison between atlases, but
considering the widespread distribution of kestrels during the mid-80's,
this amount of difference in percentages is shocking.  We'll see what
happens over the next 4 years.

Another web link that may be of interest is the BBS trend map for kestrels
(http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/htm03/trn2003/tr03600.htm).

Good birding everyone!

Aaron Boone

Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II