OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2024

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:13:17 -0500
The sun was nice but the brisk wind made birding quite chilly but it was still nice to be out. A brief stop at the barn gave me decent scope looks at one Barn Owl from the mown path. It did not stick its head out but its face was fairly easy to see just inside the window. A bluebird was on the wires.

The ponds at the Wood Duck area had a nice assortment of ducks although not in great numbers. From the observation tower, there was at least one drake N Pintail, a fair number of Ring-neckeds, pair of N Shovelers, two male Canvasbacks, Mallard and a small group of Hooded Mergansers as well as a couple Coots.

A pair of Mute Swans, a few more Coots & mallards were off the blind. One adult Bald Eagle was tending the nest.

At Glacier Knoll across the street, there wasn’t much but as I was scanning, a male pheasant lifted out of the tall weeds briefly then dropped back into cover. Red-wingeds were singing. An ad Red-tailed flew over. No harriers.

The feeders there didn’t have anything unexpected. Only sparrows were White-throated, Song & House. Saw one junco.

As I was driving near the I70 ramps, a Cooper’s Hawk flew over the road and a couple Ring-billed Gulls were aloft as well.

Yesterday, Morris Woods was quiet. Red-wingeds were singing & I heard a Killdeer call from one of the bordering fields. Crows were mobbing some& finally flushed a Cooper’s Hawk  Several Bluebirds along the roadsides.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPhone