OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Gus Fargus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gus Fargus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:31:08 -0700
I was near Wheeling WV for the weekend for a family reunion and didn't hear anything about the Red Great Knot Kenn Kaufman reported earlier but it sounds like a great rare bird. There wasn't anything in the newspaper about it down there strange enough!?

  On the way back mother and I stopped at the Brass Ring golf course to look for the MIssissipi Kites but it was too hot for us to be on teh course so we had a couple sodas and then went to Conkles' Hollow. The trails are friendly for mobily challenged though some of the trail can be tough to push through in the heat. Mother enjoyed the trip but I was a little to busy to bird though!! Kudos to the state of Ohio for creating a trail friendly to those with motility problems!! We enjoyed our trip and made it home but as I said missed the super rare bird in WV. And the ones in Logan too. Next time!!! Thanks to everyone for their reports. It is helpful to new birders.

  Thank you for your time.
  Gus Fargus

Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I'm forwarding this from the ID-Frontiers listserve. Winfield, West Virginia, isn't too far from Marietta or Gallipolis in s.e. Ohio. I don't know anything more about this than what's contained in the two posts below, so don't contact me for more info; but I've looked at the photos, and it does look like the bird is a Great Knot, a species I've studied closely in China and Australia. (not just a great knot, which could be just a great sighting of a Red Knot -- the Great Knot is a different species.) Have any of you birders in eastern or southeastern Ohio heard anything about this?

Kenn Kaufman
Rocky Ridge, Ohio