OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2020

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:56:23 -0400
I apologize in advance if this post is not considered appropriate for the list but I wanted to express some concern for this wayward bird. Pls reply privately to me if you wish so as not to clutter the list with info many might not have interest in.

I was thrilled like everyone else to see this bird in Ohio but I thought back to when I was in AZ and a hurricane in Baja California blew in a number of storm petrels. A wonder to see them in the desert but many birds were soon in distress or found dead & only a lucky few were rescued & transported to the San Diego zoo for rehab & release if possible. The general consensus was the storm petrels, being so small, could not make it back west on their own. Birders even brought chum like sardines to fling into the sewer ponds where a few storm petrels landed so the birds would have some food.

The booby appeared healthy to my nonexpert eyes, preening, etc. I watched it lift off from the water and fly as well as flying into its perch. I did not see it feeding altho one birder said he observed it eating a fish. I watched it sit on the water for extended periods but I don’t know if this is normal booby behavior. I also don’t know if a booby can survive on freshwater fish.

My point is, should a rehab organization be made aware of this bird? Are there any experts on the list who believe this bird could make it back to the coast on its own?

I would kindly ask birders chasing this bird to contact a rehabber (or maybe fish & wildlife?) if the bird appears in any distress. obviously, rehabbers can/should only capture a bird if it’s in distress—counterproductive to pursue & tire a bird unnecessarily especially if it appears to be doing ok. Just so I’m clear, I am NOT advocating a rehab organization go after this bird at this time! Hopefully, it will continue to do well.

I’m hoping the Brown Booby will be able to make it back home safely after delighting so many birders.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad