From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:58:15 -0400
First, my two-cents worth on the fish crows. (I can't quite resist a good
discussion, rare on this list as noted by Bill.) Dr. Andy Jones's audio
recording brought back memories. Fish Crows were dirt common in the
Jacksonville and Fernandina Beach, Florida area, when I spent inordinate
amounts of time there back during the heavily nautical portion of my
strange career, in the late 80s - early 90s. Thanks for the memories! I
have no real desire to visit the eastern suburbs of Cleveland to join the
state-list twitching frenzy, if that indeed is the nature of what
transpires.

As the discussion meandered into other species, it touched on some of those
seen or unseen on the morning walk around my property that I just finished.
I saw several American crows, and heard many more.

Since Jane left early this morning to process some wool at a fiber mill in
Indiana, my morning walk following the farm chores turned into a true
nature observation walk, instead of a fitness walk.

A brief Gahanna area digression - I got my fill of fitness yesterday
constructing a bridge across a ditch in my brother's back yard in
Blacklick, an eastern Columbus suburb very near to Gahanna Woods. Speaking
of which, has anyone seen Merlins in that area? Around 6PM a pair of
smallish falcons swooped swiftly overhead as I was gathering up my tools.
They seemed slightly larger and darker that kestrels, but smaller than
peregrines, which I suppose they might have been. Anyway, something to
watch out for. They seemed out of place...

Back to my place, common yellowthroats have indeed arrived. I heard one
singing at dusk on Monday evening, but failed to spot it. This morning I
found two separate territories actively serenaded by perky, vocal males. I
pished once to bring out the second of the two, and he popped out only five
feet from my nose. Welcome back!

My first of season catbird was trading fours with a mockingbird this
morning in the edge above the "yellow bucket" ravine, offering a nice
comparison of song styles. I didn't hear a brown thrasher this morning,
even though I hung out for a time at two locations where I have seen and
heard them earlier this season.

An ovenbird continues to call from the east bank deep hollow somewhere near
the southern property line. The Louisiana waterthrush was silent this
morning while I was in the vicinity near Valhalla Falls.

On the "bluebird" trail, four actual live bluebird nestlings have hatched
from the eggs I found in Box #6 a couple weeks ago, in both instances
confirmed by quick and hopefully non-disruptive examination. The female
returned five minutes after my intrusion (the last I will do,) to a chorus
of cheeping. There are a few tree swallows swooping around the hilltop,
although I haven't managed to figure out if and where they might be nesting.

Field sparrows are displaying all sorts of mating behavior. A bluejay
perched in a shrub looked watchful for potential meals.

I didn't hear a blue-winged warbler where I located one last week, near Box
#7, but I heard one up on the edge above the spring hollow by the north
property line.

Numbers of white-throated sparrows flitted about the sticks in the fallen
locust grove. Another large black locust has fallen in the recent winds,
adding to the tangles.

Wildflowers continue an impressive display. It has been a great season for
golden ragwort, not only in their usual patches but a few others as well.
The Virginia bluebells are about finished with blooming, and settling into
the early fruiting stage. Showy orchis is popping up in many places. The
usual cast of others, spring cress, violets, wild geranium, blue phlox,
Greek valerian, etc. certainly make for a nice "garden."

Beautiful morning!

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County
The Flint Ridge upland and forested ravines