]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

OHIO-BIRDS Home

OHIO-BIRDS  May 2018

OHIO-BIRDS May 2018

Kirtland's Warbler, Lake Erie Bluffs, Lake County 5/4

John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>

John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 May 2018 15:41:03 +0000

text/plain

There were some good birds this morning at Lake Erie Bluffs with the highlight being a very vocal Kirtland's warbler. Also observed was a golden-winged warbler and at least two yellow-breasted chats. The chats were moving around a bit, so it's possible there may have been 3.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark, Lake, Ohio, US
May 4, 2018 6:40 AM - 9:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Conditions were cloudy with intermittent rain early. Winds were southwest and gusting.
79 species

Canada Goose  4
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  3
Red-breasted Merganser  84
Ruddy Duck  2
Common Loon  1
Double-crested Cormorant  36
Great Blue Heron  7
Turkey Vulture  14
Osprey  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  5
Bald Eagle  1
Ring-billed Gull  233
Herring Gull  11
Caspian Tern  4
Mourning Dove  4
Chimney Swift  23
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  7
Northern Flicker  14
Least Flycatcher  3
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  8
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  221
American Crow  5
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  47
Purple Martin  6
Tree Swallow  49
Bank Swallow  7
Barn Swallow  8
Black-capped Chickadee  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
House Wren  16
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4
Eastern Bluebird  1
Veery  3
Swainson's Thrush  7
Hermit Thrush  2
Wood Thrush  3
American Robin  17
Gray Catbird  48
Brown Thrasher  9
European Starling  22
Ovenbird  2
Northern Waterthrush  5
Golden-winged Warbler  1     One singing bird was observed just west of the shelter
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Nashville Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  9
American Redstart  2
Kirtland's Warbler  1     A singing Kirtland's warbler was found along the Bluffs trail in the northwest quadrant of the trail. It was just east of the opening with a bat house. The bird's singing was the first thing noticed. It was a loud clear call. The best description would be most similar to the one in the Sibley guide of  ; Flip-lip-lip-lip, tip-tip-chilip. It was in some dense brush and not too far in, but most of the time was not visible. I "pished" and it briefly came closer where I was able to see it. It was a medium sized warbler with a gray back and lemon yellow below. The chest was streaked with black. It wagged it's tail constantly and seemed pretty agitated. It moved back in and called a bit, stopped for several minutes and then resumed. Another birder came by and we had it sing very close, stopped a few minutes, and then call further south into the brush. We did not hear it again. Observation time was about 10-15 minutes. It was in the open only twice and then it was brief. It was an adult male.
Northern Parula  1
Yellow Warbler  79
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  2