OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2017 07:48:52 -0400
I focused on this migrant corridor looking for early migrants.  I stopped at Antrum Lake, the new River Bluffs section of Highbanks MetroPark, and the Scenic River Trail section of Highbanks.  The new River Bluffs section looks great, and was the birdiest of the three sites.  Not only does it have an outstanding stretch of riverfront trail, but the old dumpsite here has been capped to make a faux bluff that serves as the parking area and offers a commanding view of the valley.  If the Olentangy River Greenway Trail makes it up here, and ultimately connects with the Big Meadows area in Highbanks, the area will open up a goldmine of birding possibilities.

As for the morning, migrants were not much in evidence, though the list of wandering residents was long.  The birds included:

Osprey - singles at River Bluffs and Big Meadow, which may have been the same bird
Chimney Swifts - small groups all along the river corridor, mostly soaring above the tree canopy
Ruby-throatHummers - 1-2 at every stop
Swallows - small flocks of Barns at every stop; also had 5 Martins at River Bluffs and 2-3 Cliffs at both River Bluffs and Scenic Trail
Flycatchers - scattered Pewees & Great Crested at all stops; also had 2 Acadians at Scenic River Trail
Vireos - Antrum lake still had 3 singing Warblings; Red-eyed were at Antrum & Scenic River Trail
Warblers - aside from the expected Common Yellowthroats, there was a Louisiana Waterthrush along the river at River Bluffs
Orioles - 3 Baltimores were at Antrum Lake, while singles were at the other sites.