OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:58:55 -0500
I spent some time at the Wilds today (DeLorme 71 B5), hoping that the NW
Ohio Prairie Falcon reported earlier this week had found its way to
Muskingum County.  I didn't find that bird, but did have a great day none
the less.  From the Jeffrey Point Birding deck, I had nice long looks at 1
adult Golden Eagle, soaring over the fields and at moments, directly over a
herd of buffalo.  The bird hung around that immediate area soaring for over
4 or 5 minutes, then landed in a tree where I observed it preening, It then
fluffed up its feathers, and again took flight where it disappeared to the
South.  The bird was actually closer to the Visitor Center (than Jeffrey
Point), and if I had access to that vantage point, I definitely could have
had some digiscoped images of the bird.
 About an hour later on Zion Ridge Road, between a quarter and half a mile
off of SR 146, I located an adult Northern Shrike which also cooperated very
nicely, allowing me to take some digiscoped images.  This is very near
(within 200-300 yards) of where a N Shrike was hanging out last winter, so
perhaps its the same bird?  I saw it regurgitate two pellets and I tried to
locate one to see what it's been feeding on, but I had no luck with that.

Other birds:

Rough-legged Hawk - 16
Red-tailed Hawk - 9
Harrier - 6