OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:28:19 -0800
A few highlights from Summit County over this past weekend:

   While feeder-watching here in Merriman Valley I had a lone male Eastern Bluebird, 2 American Robins, a male and female Brown-headed Cowbird, one flyover Ring-billed Gull and the immature Bald Eagle reported last week flew over the Valley Animal Hospital, up the R.R. tracks and continued over towards the Big Bend Area of Sand Run Metro Park towards the Cuyahoga River. Pretty sure it was the same juvie bird - lots of white under the wings. Twenty-four species of yard birds for Saturday.
   A trip out to the Portage Lakes area yielded very little open water, Nimisila Reservoir completely frozen but the channel west of S. Main St. at Odell St. was open and held 3 Great Blue Heron, 2 Mute Swan, about 30 Ring-necked Ducks, almost all male, many Canada Geese, Mallards and American Coots, and 2 Pied-billed Grebe. One open area at East Reservoir held mostly Mallards and a lone drake Redhead. Long Lake channel next to Portage Lakes Dr. at the Kiwanis building was open as well and held many Mallards, 2 American Black Duck, about 30 more Ring-necked Duck, all males, and a lone drake Canvasback. The canal along the Towpath Trail near Nesmith Lake held a few Mallards and coots and a lone American Black Duck.
   On my lunch break today I had a flock of 20+ Wild Turkey on the par-3 course at Brandywine Country Club south of Peninsula in the C.V.N.P.

Douglas W. Vogus - Akron, Ohio.