OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:33:49 -0400
I made a run through areas along the Scioto River in this county south of Columbus, looking to (1) beef up some totals from a few OBBA2 blocks, (2) hunt for stray woodland breeders in an area where large woodlands are few, and (3) hunt down some areas for grassland sparrows and dickcissels.  I started at Mackey Ford wildlife area, then zig-zagged my way down to Stages Pond, then crossed over to the area along the lower Darby Creek between Circleville and Fox.  Notables included:

Spotted Sandpiper - I'm finding these guys in lots of places; today, 1 was calling in a new wetland at Mackey Ford.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - unusually scarce despite being in perfect habitat almost the entire morning.  I finally found one along the Darby at Fox.

Wood Warblers - surprisingly dull, with nothing other than the expected Yellow, Yellow-throated, and Common Yellowthroats.  Stage's Pond woods lacked any stray woodland species, and I couldn't even find a Chat there (which is very unusual).

Grassland Sparrows & Dickcissels - not much around Mackey Ford or Duvall or Stage's Pond, but Fox had the jackpot.  East of town on Florence Chapel Rd were Grasshopper Sparrows, Savannah Sparrows, and 2 Dickcissels.  South of town along McClain Mill rd were singing Grasshopper and Vesper Sparrows.

Grosbeaks - a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks carrying food at Mackey Ford finally tied down breeding at a spot where they have been tantalizing me with singing birds for several years.  2 singing birds at Stage's Pond woods was more expected.  Despite a careful search, I couldn't find any evidence for Blue Grosbeaks along Island Rd (NE of Circleville) where a series of old quarries would seem to be ideal habitat.

Orchard Orioles - seems to be a big year for them. I had them at almost every stop, even in some tiny tree clusters in the middle of fields.