OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2017

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2017 14:26:07 -0400
Folks interested in more than their personal Ohio viewings of this past
week's sooty tern may want to know its history in the state. We must
understand "history" to mean only verified reports from humans, which go
back in Ohio only over seventy years. On 5 August 1945, one was observed
over Mogadore Reservoir in Portage County, an occurrence verified by
Ludlow Griscom (Ohio Cardinal 28:4 p 166); note that this appearance is
not included in Peterjohn's "The Birds of Ohio."  Others were seen in
Clermont County 12 and 13-19 July 2005 (same Cardinal issue p. 164); the
observer, Donald Morse, noted that Hurricane Dennis had passed close to
the Dry Tortugas earlier in July, the site where 20,000 pairs of sooties
were breeding at the time.
Bill Whan