OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:38:52 -0400
While bike-birding around this MetroPark in south Columbus this morning, I found several interesting summering birds, including

Alder Flycatcher - a calling bird along the Blacklick Greenway trail near where it intersects old Hendron Rd.  This is a spot where they've been heard sporadically for 4 of the last 5 summers, so it likely is a nesting area.  Best access (if you don't bike the trail) is to park at the back of the Bixby Living Skills Center along Bixby Rd (only on weekends), then walk north 60 yards to where the bikepath bends around a little shrubby hill.  The bird was calling around the base of this hill; it's call is easily distinguished from the several Willow Flycatchers in the area.

Veery - 1 bird was calling in the forest area along the Blacklick Greenway Trail NE of the Confluence area parking lot.  Veeries are rare summer strays to Columbus, and have been recorded in the past at Blendon Woods & Hoover, but not down in the southern parks.

Parula Warbler - at least 1 was singing along the Alum Creek bikepath near its bend around the largest borrow pit south of I-270, where it snakes between the pond & Alum Creek.

Yellow-throated Warblers - common, with at least 5 singing in different parts of the Confluence & Borrow Pits areas

Rose-br.Grosbeak - a pair were foraging and singing in the same vicinity as the Parula

Orchard Orioles - common this year, with birds at the Hendron area, the Confluence area, and the south side of the Borrow Pits.  If you spend any time around the Hendron area, you will hear them.