OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 16:57:27 EST
Linda and I started the day late as a previously scheduled commitment was
canceled at the last minute and we were free to go birding. We began with the
intention of returning to Delaware Wildlife Area as Linda was interested in
seeing the variety and numbers of waterfowl that were present Friday. What a
difference a day makes. When we arrived there were people, children and dogs off
 lease everywhere. However, most likely because of this the water was
practically  empty. Scratch plan A. On to Plan B. Find waterfowl for Linda. I headed
north to  Big Island Wildlife Area where we fared much better. Big Island had
a good  variety of species and the numbers were also decent. The 13 Bald
Eagles were a  bonus and they were putting on an incredible aerial show.

Species located at Big Island, both along SR 95 and Prospect-La Rue Road
included:

Waterfowl and related groups- Pied-billed Grebe, Trumpeter Swan, Wood Duck,
Gadwall, American Wigeon, American Black Duck, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal,
Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Redhead,
Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, and Hooded Merganser.

Raptors: Bald Eagle, Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk
(only 1), and American Kestrel.

Other species: American Coot and Horned Larks.

Then as we returned home I again located Wild Turkeys off Rome Corners  Road.

Charlie Bombaci

recession.
(http://jobs.aol.com/gallery/growing-job-industries?ncid=emlcntuscare00000002)