OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

From:
Sue Tackett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Tackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2016 12:23:35 -0400
I have visited Spring Valley twice since I first wrote about it.  Once about a week ago when I noticed that the marsh had been drawn down so that many areas were exposed; only the flow of the natural spring seemed to have much water left.  Since then Brant Fulks has replied to my email to them about the dead cattails.  I have enclosed his reply below for all to see.

I also returned this morning when conditions  have changed again.  The lake is returning to normal water levels with no output at the spillway.

I hope that what they have done turns out to be good for the marsh.  I plan on returning often this summer to check on it.

Not many different birds, three Green Herons, Wood Ducks with young and other common nesters.  One thing that surprised me was that I only saw one Tree Swallow!

Thanks to those of you who enquired about their reply.  I hope this helps to explain the current situation.

Good birding, Sue