OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 19 Nov 2007 20:48:43 -0500577_iso-8859-1 The first Short-eared Owl sighting of the season for Columbiana County, unfortunately, was a very recent vehicle hit owl found late saturday near Rogers on SR 154. This location is just a few miles north of the normal Columbiana County owl wintering area. The bird, showing damage to the one side, was still alive for a short period of time. It was then taken to the Beaver Creek Wildlife Educational Center, where Jim Kerr and myself verified identification, then preserved it for later use.
The Center presently has two Short-eared Owl mounts for display. [...]44_19Nov200720:48:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:26:55 -0500
Green Lawn Cem
11/18/07 mid - late afternoon
I guess winter is now here----->

It appears the MERLIN has returned.
It, or one that looks just like, was perched in one of its favorite spots
at the top of a branch of a dead tree in Section 57, south of the pit,
when I arrived about 2-3.
Otherwise, the birds were mostly very active and moving rapidly about in
small groups or singly. Thus, with a lot of leaves still on the trees,
it was hard to get good looks at many of the small things, so I don't
know what I might have missed. However, here are the others I remember.
In some cases numbers are mentioned.

Merlin
Mourning Dove  xx
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 3 (I usually manage to see 2 or 3. they seem
to like the Black Walnut on the right, about 3/4 of the way in to the
mausoleum. They were there before.)
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee (are recovering nicely after what seemed to be a total
wipe-out several years ago)
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 2 at least. (I saw them in various locations, but
they do move about rapidly.)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper - 1
Am. Robin ( most flocks were small, high in the trees and seldom stayed
in one place for very long)
Cedar Waxwing (a small group wandering about)
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
N. Cardinal
Chipping Sparrow - several (they were usually rather hidden in the grass.
I did not recognize any field sparrows.)
      (Possibly, there might have been tree sparrows, but I was not able
to get good IDs (because of their being lost in the grass).
White-throated sparrow (only a few
D.E. Junco (the most numerous)
House Finch
Pine Siskin (brief looks, as mentioned above, but I was sure at least 1
or 2. There might have been more moving with the goldfinches.)
Am. Goldfinch

Rich
Richard Cressman
Columbus OH