OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:11:09 -0500
Yesterday (Sunday, Jan 29) for only the third time ever, I had the joy of finding all seven of Ohio's woodpeckers in one day. We started at Mitchell Memorial Forest, a Hamilton County park, Zion Rd, Cleves (west side of Cincinnati) and at our first stop in the Tall Pines lot I got 5 species: Downy, Hairy, and Pileated Woodpecker, plus Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Northern Flicker. This site also had a nice flock of Red-breasted Nuthatches, one of my target birds for the day.

Later along the trails we picked up Red-bellied Woodpecker for number six, and I found another target bird, Brown Creeper, on the Wood Duck trail, near the stream.

After the walk, I drove to Spring Grove Cemetery, where I easily found the immature Red-headed Woodpecker who is residing in Section 100, and busily caching nuts in a tree by the pond. I didn't even have to get out of the car.

There was another Brown Creeper here, and a flyover Sharp-shinned Hawk became #70 for my January in Ohio list. This is the closest I have ever come to the elusive 100.

Kathi Hutton
SW Ohio

Sent from iVan, my iPhone