OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:59:59 -0500
Due to Snow, I got to stay home today. So I decided to do the circuit and head to the Plains followed by going to Big Isle.

I took 37 out of Larue and at almost every intersection were horned larks 20 to a flock.  My best drive by count was about 150-200.  Interspersed in the flocks were snow buntings; 5-10 each.  for a total of about 60 with a  large flock of  about 20-30 at the huge grain silos on Rt 309.  Part of that 150 count was 60 over at the same silos.

Killdeer was not very productive as the snow had really started to fall.  Saw a lone Hawk on a snag over at the reserve pond on 71.

At Big Island I saw two Sort Eared and a set of Harriers.  Snow was so deep that I couldn't find the pull off to the ponds...and went into a ditch.  Good Samaritans helped me out and I took that as a sign to pack it in.

Pretty much all of Killdeer is unplowed. Only the main county roads are "cleared".  Big Isle is better but good luck finding the pull offs. ;-)  The larks and buntings were pretty much sticking to the main plowed roads where the plows had turned up some dirt from the side of the road.

On the way home I spotted what could be a merlin, but I wasn't sure and by the time i got turned around, it was gone.  It looked like and was about as big as a kestrel but with a longer tail.

Now I have two raptors that I have to follow up on. :-)

Happy Birding and God Bless

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)

Psalm 103:4-6

 4 who redeems your life from the pit
       and crowns you with love and compassion,

 5 who satisfies your desires with good things
       so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

 6 The LORD works righteousness
       and justice for all the oppressed.