OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:35:20 -0600
Although the six inches of snow yesterday wasn't enough to deter me from
driving, freezing rain that created a 1 inch layer of ice on top of the
snow, and the additional 4 inches of snow on top of that, conspired to
keep me home from work today.  I spent most of it de-icing the bird
feeders and watching my feathered guests.

The usual suspects were out in force, plus I had two new backyard birds
for the 2009 winter season, RUSTY BLACKBIRD and AMERICAN TREE SPARROW.
I was really hoping for a Fox Sparrow - this is the kind of weather that
seems to bring them to my yard - but not today.  I'm off again tomorrow,
so who knows.

Yard List:

Canada Goose (heard, fly-over)
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch (heard)
Carolina Wren
European Starling
AMERICAN TREE SPARROW
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
RUSTY BLACKBIRD
House Finch
American Goldfinch

An aside for Spencer, who asked about goldfinches:  I usually have 20 to
30 goldfinches at any one time.  I have counted as high as 50 during
peak times.  I see goldfinches so often that I don't usually report
them.

~Kathi Hutton
Felicity, OH

http://katdocsworld.blogspot.com/