OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
James Thurston
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 10:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Grandview Nighthawks

A general rule of thumb is anywhere where there are a lot of flat roofs.
There are some nesting on the roof of the brewery district Kroger if you
want an easy spot. [...]45_8Jun200710:31:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:38:11 -0400
  Had a good little turn-out for the weekly wed. morning birdwalk at the
Brown Family Environmental Center today,(Kenyon College, Knox Co)
dispite the muggy conditions even at the start time of 8:00. There were
some good sightings and hearings of avi-fauna:

Chimney Swifts
Barn Swallow  - including one recent fledgling
Tree Swallows  - same as above
Orchard Oriole - pair observed
Baltimore Oriole - pair with a juvenile
Rose-breasted Grossbeak - 1 male seen
Scarlet Tanager - lotta these guys 5 males seen/heard and 2 females
seen (1 male CF)
Indigo Bunting - 4 males singing
Red-eyed Vireo
White Eyed Vireo - heard (last week I found a family w/ two young who
were getting along in age)
Warbling Vireo  - heard
Yellow-throated Vireo - heard
Common Yellowthroat - 1 seen and 6 over-all
Yellow Warbler - heard and seen
Northern Parula - 2 heard and seen!
Kentucky Warbler - seen a few days ago but not today.
Cerulean          - 1 heard briefly
Hooded Warbler - 3 total 2 seen pretty well
Black and White Warbler - 1 seen
Yellow-breasted Chat - 1 heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - heard and seen briefly
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 4 heard and 1 seen
Willow Flycatcher - 3 heard and 2 w/ good looks
Accadian Flycatcher - 4 heard and seen
Wood Thrush - 4
Eastern Bluebird - doing moderately well with their second broods now,
some juvies around
Cooper's Hawk - 1
etc.

         We'll be meeting @ 8:00 am next week for a fourth of July
Birdwalk at the visitor's center where we always meet and we'll go till
9:00 or so. So come on over if you want to find some birds! Binoculars
available to borrow.

     Good Birding,

    Ben Warner
            The Brown Family Environmental Center