OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:47:40 -0400
I was able to get out to Battelle-Darby Creek Metro Park this afternoon.  I
birded several locations in the park and had varying luck.  I started at
the Turkeyfoot Trails at the Indian Ridge area, and saw almost nothing.  I
moved on to the Terrace Trail and saw the following:

Great-blue Heron - 1
American Robin - abt. 200
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 6
Brown Creeper - 2
White-breasted Nuthatch - 3
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1 (heard)
Carolina Chickadee - 6
Hairy Woodpecker - 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 3
White-throated Sparrow - 4
FOX SPARROW - 3  (near the railroad on Northern part of trail)
Eastern Towhee - 1 (heard)

I then went over and birded around the parking lot for the Dyer Mill/Ski
Trail.  I think what I observed was an example of Rob Thorn's
observation that migrants often build up around the confluence of
waterways.  This trailhead is right where the Big and Little Darby Creeks
come together.  Something must've been different because none of the birds
here seemed to mind that I was around--so I got excellent looks at many of
them!  Here is my list for this location:

White-breasted Nuthatch - 1
Carolina Chickadee - 3
Tufted Titmouse - 4
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 2
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 4
Blackpoll Warbler - 1
Blackburnian Warbler - 1
Ovenbird - 1
Black-throated Green Warbler - 1
poss. Nashville Warber - 1 (this was the only uncooperative one)

I omitted several common species that were also observed.

-Nate Nye
Hilliard, OH