OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:10:53 -0400
Ohio Birders,
I'm pumped this afternoon after reading some great Atlasing reports from
today and the past few days.  Congrats especially to Dave Slager for nabbing
81 species in his Muskingum County priority block...and by bicycle!  To echo
Mr. Bombaci, even farmland can be great for birding!  Indeed, atlasing will
bring you to places you may have never considered birding before.
 Undoubtedly, there's something interesting to be found no matter where you
are in Ohio.

As June is rapidly coming to a close, please consider forging ahead with
your survey efforts into July and even into early August.  I think that the
first couple of weeks in July can bring some of the most rewarding summer
time birding.  It is true that June brings the end of certain species' safe
dates but this doesn't eliminate the fact that you will likely find PROBABLE
or CONFIRMED breeding evidence to negate those safe date restrictions.

If you're new to the Atlas, please give participation a try, even if you
only have 5 hours to spare some weekend morning.  I encourage EVERY birder
in Ohio to contribute at least some observations to OBBA2.  As I've said
before, atlasing is simply birding and it's easy to contribute.  We still
have several priority blocks that need whatever amount of effort you can
contribute.  Please help us in this 4th year (only one to go!!!) of putting
Ohio's nesting birds on the map!

Good birding!

--
Aaron Boone