OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:38:46 -0800
Never have I seen so many birders along this stretch
of the lakefront as this morning - Kirtland Bird Club
and Ohio Young Birder's Club outings convened at E
72nd St, and the Columbus Avids were in town.  While
it was great to so many familiar faces, the quality of
the "avian faces" was a bit subpar.

A Ring-necked Duck at E 72nd St was a new arrival, but
the gulls continue to use the distant open water
leads.  One Glaucous had been spotted earlier on the
ice.

At Eastlake Power Plant, the situation was a bit
improved.  There were more ducks and gulls in close,
including three Iceland Gulls (first-cycle) and a
White-winged Scoter.

I pulled into Holden Arboretum, rolled down my window,
and simultaneously heard White-winged Crossbills.  A
nearly pure male flock of twenty birds adorned the
spruces near the entrance like Christmas tree
ornaments.  I cannot stress how lucky we are to be
part of this gigantic crossbill movement - enjoy them
while you can!  Photos of these birds are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28939750@N05/

Quick highlights for Emil Bacik and I from Cuyahoga
Valley NP yesterday included 22 crossbills and Purple
Finches at Oak Hill, and a grey-phase screech-owl
(thanks, Jen Brumfield) and male MERLIN at Station Rd.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland

Gabe Leidy

"The first voices are heard before daybreak. It is easy to pick out these first, solitary singers...In that dawn chorus one hears the throb of life itself."
-Rachel Carson