OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2022

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:58:12 -0500
It felt downright warm by afternoon today as it finally climbed above freezing. Dipped on Greater WF Geese again but had decent birding.

I finally saw 2 Cackling Geese at Griggs—missed them on my first try but after checking out the Kiwanis park, another birder showed me where they were hanging out, further upstream from where I had checked before. otherwise, just hordes of Canada Geese, mallards & Ring-billed Gulls. 3 Great Blue Herons flew over.

At Kiwanis, another new spot for me along w/Griggs, there were a number of Redheads, some Hooded Mergansers and a few Com Goldeneye, both male & female. Found one Ruddy Duck & one Black Duck there plus more Ring-billeds. Heard Kingfisher, Red-shouldered Hawk and Bald Eagle there. One Mute Swan.

Since I wasn’t far from Darby Lakes, I stopped there again. Much more pleasant conditions. More species of ducks today: one female Com Goldeneye, Gadwall, 5 Green-winged Teal, Ruddy & lots of Mallards plus one coot. Did not pick out ant Cackling Geese amongst the many Canadas. Brief flyby of a N Harrier.

Saw roadside Red-taileds & kestrels.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad