OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:04:48 -0500
Cabin fever and the nice weather got Linda and I out of the house today. Activity was low and scattered so we meandered looking for anything that might show up. We began at Oxbow Road (Delaware County) where we found a raft of 25 American Coots, 2 Pied-billed Grebes, a lone female Hooded Merganser, and 3 Belted Kingfishers. Throw in some Northern Cardinals, 1 Hairy Woodpecker, 10 American Goldfinches and 11 American Crows and moving on was easy. It's hard to believe that we didn't see a single Canada Goose or a European Starling or anything else there today.

Next stop was at Wiese Road (Delaware County) where things were a bit more active. There were well over 100 Cedar Waxwings feeding on berries. Some of them came to within 5 feet of us. They are beautiful birds and always enjoyable to view. Dark-eyed Juncos were in good numbers as were Yellow-rumped Warblers. Mixed in the low brush with the Juncos we located a Fox Sparrow that obligingly came into the open and gave us great views. An adult Bald Eagle did a low flyover for us. The other normal suspects were present, i.e., Song Sparrow, Carolina Wren, American Robin, Great Blue Heron, etc.

We next headed north to the Delaware Wildlife Area where there were 3 Northern Harriers, 1 Pied-billed Grebe, and a raft of 60+ American Coots. Nothing else was moving, likely because of the multitude of hunter orange and the frequent sound of shots. Time to remember to where orange when in the field. We left quickly as there didn't seem to be any areas without hunters.

We next made a quick stop at the Delaware State Park off US 23. Here we located more Northern Harriers, lots of Ring-billed and Bonaparte's Gulls and an Eastern Meadowlark.

Then we thought what the heck and headed up to Big Island Wildlife Area in Marion County. I expected hunters to be present but still there are some safe areas to view wildlife without being a target. Here we located 8 Trumpeter Swans, an adult Bald Eagle, 5 Northern Harriers, 12 Horned Larks, 3 Eastern Meadowlarks and surprisingly 4 Rough-legged Hawks.

Not the most exciting day but better than sitting around the house. Small game hunting season will let up and eventually the waterfowl will arrive from up north.

Charlie Bombaci