OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:23:18 -0700
I've been birding this area off and on since the 1950s and there were probably more birds there Sunday late afternoon than I've seen before. Many birds at Funk were far in the distance but here are some estimates.

  At Funk Bottoms:

  Tundra Swans - 195
  Ring-billed Gull - 1500+
  Canada Geese -  3000+
  Snow Geese  -  3 (white phase)
  Sandhill Crane - 6+

  All expected duck species were there (still no Blue-winged Teal) - some numbers: 70 Wood Ducks, 200-300 Wigeon and Pintails, 1000+ Ring-necked, 100+ Canvasback, 100+ Redhead, 500+ Scaup, 500+ Mallards; 6 Goldeneye, 6 Ruddys

  At Killbuck Marsh Wildlife Area there were around 2,000 ducks with the vast majority being Ring-necked, but most other species were represented. No Eurasian Wigeon yet.

  It will be interesting to see what changes occur in the coming days. Yesterday there were hundreds of birds in the air at all times. Today and Tuesday should bring a good Red-shouldered Hawk flight.

  Bruce Glick

  Bruce

  Bruce Glick
  Millersburg, Ohio