OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2018

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:40:49 -0500
Hog Creek Marsh is an area...that is really a corn field and wind farm.
According to the historical marker it used to be a Marsh.  I was over there
with Mandy Roberts to look for a Snowy Owl that had been reported...we
struck out...but we did get to see the biggest flocks of Snow Buntings we
had ever seen.  She had arrived earlier, and had closer to 1000 Buntings (I
saw the pictures. :-) ). I was only able to manage 300 of them. :-D. Great
wide open area...and if you need Snow Buntings...you might be able to get
them ther
Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J

Here is the eBird list including a link where you can find a link to a map.:

Hog Creek Marsh, Hardin, Ohio, US
Feb 9, 2018 2:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
9 species

Northern Harrier  3
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  12
Mourning Dove  8
Horned Lark  100
American Robin  12
European Starling  8
Lapland Longspur  100
Snow Bunting  300     Two major flocks of Snow Buntings with no Longspurs
or Horned Larks. I photographed the biggest Flock, but couldn't photograph
the second that was in another area about a mile away.  Earlier in the day,
Mandy Roberts had counts closer to 1000. I can provide scrreen shots of
them enlarged if need be.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42632322