OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 18:50:46 -0500
There was an interesting variety of birds at the Deer Creek Reservoir this afternoon, Dec. 4.

For those that need directions here , again, is a link to a map :

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/Hunting/wildlifeareas/central/centralwa.htm

Some of the birds noted included :

2 ROSS'S GEESE
1 Common Goldeneye
1 AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
4 BLACK VULTURES
1 Rough-legged Hawk
2 N. Harriers
5 Sandhill Cranes
~15 Killdeers
2 Dunlins
~200 Bonaparte's Gulls
~500 Ring-billed Gulls
~5 Herring Gulls
1 NORTHERN SHRIKE
Am. Tree Sparrows (lots)
Dark-eyed Juncos (lots)
Field, Song, Swamp, White-throated, and White-crowned Sparrows

The shrike was at its usual spot near the gate to the beach area. The Ross's Geese were on the beach with some Canadas. The pelican was seen in the south side of the reservoir then flew to the north end (near Pancoastburg) to roost. The cranes and shorebirds were also there, with the end of D-12 providing a good vantage point right now. The harriers and R-L Hawk were seen along Dick Rd., where some Short-eared Owls would have probably also joined the mix had I waited until dusk. The biggest surprise, really, was the 4 Black Vultures. I have never seen them so far west. Even with the huge flocks of Turkey Vultures that gather there in Oct. and early Nov., I have never seen a Black Vulture there or anywhere near there.

Bob Royse, Columbus

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com