OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2021

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2021 18:00:07 -0400
Birding was better than I thought it would be on a rather warm morning. I birded both morning & afternoon but the morning was definitely more productive. I only added two species in the afternoon: heard a Red-shouldered Hawk and saw a BT Green Warbler for 8 warbler species for the day.

I was also pleased to see 4-5 Black Vultures in the morning which I haven’t seen for a while at the reserve where they had been quite regular.

Warblers
B&W
TN
Magnolia
BT Green
Redstart
Bay-breasted
Com YT
Mourning—Bird had me stumped until I went home and looked through some photos online. The size, shape and long orangish bill fit Mourning or Connecticut but there was no eye ring to speak of and all the Connecticuts I’ve seen even in fall plumage have a strong eye ring. It appears the bird I saw, which was quite yellowish, was a first hatch year female so that was quite interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen that plumage before. I wish I could’ve gotten a photo but c’est la vie.

Vireos
White-eyed
Red-eyed
Yellow-throated