From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2020 16:36:01 -0400
Too nice a day to be inside so I visited the listed areas. Of note, Wahkeena Nature Reserve is closed which is a bummer as it’s a favorite birding spot of mine esp in spring.

Clear Creek provided my first spring 2020 Ohio warblers: 2 Louisiana Waterthrushes were singing and flying up and down the creek alongside the Hemlock Trail. One perched up nicely for me. Heard a Yellow-throated Warbler by the Mathis cabin parking lot. Also heard a Yellow-throated Vireo on the hemlock trail and there were 2 E Phoebes near the sandstone cliff where I’ve often seen a nest. Brown creeper, pair of Wood Ducks, mallard. A few Tree Swallows. A female E Bluebird was checking out a nest box. Adult Bald Eagle sailed over the road just as I drove in. Kingfisher.

The road up to the upper picnic area and trails was closed so that was a disappointment. I don’t know if it’s b/c of COVID19 or if a tree was down. Didn’t run into a ranger to ask why.

Logan Lk quiet except for grackles, RW Blackbirds but I did spot one Com Loon in breeding plumage and a DC Cormorant.

At Chestnut Ridge, I heard a couple more Yellow-throated Warblers and saw another Brown Creeper. Handful of Tree Swallows. Heard Wild Turkeys. Did not see any Purple Martins at the gourd houses there.

Pick Ponds: ospreys on platforms at Ellis pond and the one near the visitor center. At wood duck pond: pair of Sandhill Cranes, raft of coots, Bufflehead, Ruddies, Ring-necked, mallards, Blue-winged Teal, Hooded Merg female, Pied-billed Grebe, Mute Swans & of course, Canada Geese.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad