OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2023

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2023 20:37:26 -0500
While the gray skies & light drizzle were not optimal for viewing or photos, temps in the mid-40’s with little or no wind in late December by the lake was pretty amazing. The calm water at Lorain made it easy to spot the tiny Murrelet between the pier & breakwater. It was not particularly close while I was there but I had excellent scope views. I saw it dive a couple times but I don’t know if it caught anything—hope so. Seemed active & healthy—apparently yesterday, Bald Eagles & Peregrines were stooping on it, making it dive. I also saw 3 Red-necked Grebes there.

I’d only seen this bird once before—in Seward AK from a small boat 23 years ago! So I was v happy to see it again—never thought I’d add an Ancient Murrelet to my Ohio list! I heard that other Ancient Murrelets have shown up recently in Canada, WI, MN & TN!! No one could recall a strong storm that could have blown these guys over the Rockies?? So far from AK & pacific NW for these tiny birds.

While at Lorain, I heard about the warbler at Euclid Park. I’ve missed a couple Black-thr Grays in Ohio so I figured I’d keep driving E. I finally got OK views of the rapidly flitting warbler but it took a lot of time & literally running around to see it—people were spread out across the park, then a shout would go up and birders would come running from all directions, then we’d lose the bird & start the process over—pretty comical actually!

It is being seen all over the park, always in pines & often hanging out with an Orange-crowned Warbler. Add in several juncos, chickadees & Golden-crowned Kinglets and it’s a challenge to find it in the thick pines. Many thx to Chad & others for getting people incl me on the bird. I only had “pieces” of the bird or saw it in flight before finally getting a decent view of the black throat & face. Long drive back to Granville but a successful twitch x 2!

Thx also to Sandra for sending me updates.

Happy holidays, all.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad