Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 12:27:11 -0400
This morning around 10:30 Chriss Fulton and I heard then saw a vocal and
very cooperative male MOURNING WARBLER at Deep Lock Quarry (Summit Metro
Park located within the CVNP near Peninsula). The bird was found at the
bottom of the hill (paved trail from trailhead), just before the bridge to
the towpath. He came out numerous times over the 10 or 15 minutes we
watched him foraging at eye level and *above*! He spent so much time 15 ft
up a box elder tree (on right of trail, heading towards bridge) that we may
have to reclassify this so-called "skulker" as a mid-level bird! We got
spectacular view of him catching and eating some nice juicy green
caterpillars. Throughout the entire sighting he sang persistently. Best
ever Mourning Warbler sighting!  But this was only my second MOWA – I got
my first just two days ago at Magee! Though something tells me I will be
*lucky* to ever see one this well again.

Karen Gray
Summit Co.