From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2014 10:31:39 -0400
A perfect Conneaut day, rain and sixty degrees. I arrived at the Conneaut Sandspit at about 7:30AM, this morning, Wednesday. The Bald Eagle count, included the spit area, the breakwalls, and the aggregate piles. There were a total of 29, 3 adults and 26 non-adults. 2 adult Common Mergansers were the welcoming committee. The variety of shorebirds present were 2 Willets, 4 Black-bellied Plovers, 1 White-rumped Sandpiper, 12 Dunlins, 8 Least Sandpipers, 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 4 Semipalmated Plovers, and 3 Spotted Sandpipers. The only gull specie of note was 2 Bonaparte's. Resting on the public beach were 15 juvenile Common Mergansers, nearly adult size, probably this years Conneaut Creek tribe. At the Bank Swallow colony east of the marina, were at least 80 very active nest burrows. It is 10:30  AM, still raining, and I am about to depart.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County