OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:30:07 -0700
Hi all,

  I received a call from Henry Burton, Paula Lozano, Bob Finkelstein, and Jerry and Marjorie Howard shortly after 2pm today. They described having an interesting gull with the “m” pattern on its wings. Right before I got there, the gull flew further back and disappeared. After the five of them left, I relocated it incredibly far out. I was soon joined by Don and Judy from PA. We studied the bird for a while in the poring rain. As it walked between Ring-billed Gulls, we immediately narrowed it down to either Little or Bonaparte’s Gull; it was approximately half the size of a Ring-billed. The features we saw were: ear-spot, really short legs, dark nape, and a small dark cap. We are all pretty confident with Little Gull but under the conditions we were viewing the bird, we can’t be certain. Hopefully someone will be able to make it out there soon and get pictures. If it does turn out to be a Little Gull, it would be one of very few inland (from Lake Erie) records.

  Also, there are only two Marbled Godwits today and the Long-billed Dowitcher continues. No Red Knot was seen today.

  Ethan Kistler
  Newton Falls, Ohio
  www.freewebs.com/trumbullbirding