OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:14:06 -0500
     The 60th NAS Cincinnati Christmas Bird Count was conducted on Sunday, December 30th. A total of 133 participants, 117 in the field and 16 at feeders, was our highest attendance since 1986 when 140 participated on this count. Mild weather, with a low of 30 and a high of 50 degrees, dry conditions, open water and no wind to speak of, more than made up for the mostly cloudy skies. We recorded 86 species with an additional species (Blue-winged Teal) under review and pending documentation. Nothing extraordinarily rare and a few misses that we expect more often than not offset a probable count record high number of 19 waterfowl (Anatidae) species (20 species if Blue-winged Teal is accepted). We set record high numbers for 8 species (high), tied our high for 1 species (tied), and 8 species had second high number marks set (2nd)). The preliminary count totals are listed below.

Snow Goose 1, Canada Goose 1179, Mute Swan 3, Wood Duck 4, Gadwall 70, American Wigeon 16, American Black Duck 9, Mallard 370, Blue-winged Teal 2 (pending review), Northern Shoveler 84 (high), Green-winged Teal 6, Canvasback 10, Redhead 7, Ring-necked Duck 104, Greater Scaup 2, Lesser Scaup 25 (high), Bufflehead 61 (2nd), Common Goldeneye 2, Hooded Merganser 125 (2nd), Ruddy Duck 60, Wild Turkey 31, Pied-billed Grebe 38, Great Blue Heron 70 (2nd), Black Vulture 133 (2nd), Turkey Vulture 350 (high), Bald Eagle 1 (tied four x), Northern Harrier 4, Sharp-shinned Hawk 8, Cooper's Hawk 25 (high), Accipiter species 2, Red-shouldered Hawk 18 (2nd), Red-tailed Hawk 84, Buteo species 2,  American Kestrel 11, Peregrine Falcon 2 (high), American Coot 825 (2nd), Killdeer 3, Ring-billed Gull 463, Rock Pigeon 313, Mourning Dove 774, Eastern Screech-Owl 1, Great Horned Owl 9, Barred Owl 6, Belted Kingfisher 34, Red-headed Woodpecker 4, Red-bellied Woodpecker 361, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 22, Downy Woodpecker 373, Hairy Woodpecker 55, Northern Flicker 101, Pileated Woodpecker 59 (high), Eastern Phoebe 9 (high), Blue Jay 704 (2nd), American Crow 678, Horned Lark 8, Carolina Chickadee 1520, Tufted Titmouse 573, Red-breasted Nuthatch 1, White-breasted Nuthatch 258 (high), Brown Creeper 44, Carolina Wren 548, Winter Wren 6, Golden-crowned Kinglet 160, Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4, Eastern Bluebird 207, Hermit Thrush 23 (2nd), American Robin 7599, Northern Mockingbird 121, Brown Thrasher 1, European Starling 6286, Cedar Waxwing 17, Yellow-rumped Warbler 57, Eastern Towhee 141, American Tree Sparrow 223, Field Sparrow 23, Savannah Sparrow 15, Fox Sparrow 1, Song Sparrow 788, Swamp Sparrow 39, White-throated Sparrow 1284, White-crowned Sparrow 138, Dark-eyed Junco 568, Northern Cardinal 1733, Red-winged Blackbird 12, Eastern Meadowlark 2, Common Grackle 6, House Finch 222, American Goldfinch 592, House Sparrow 641.

     My heartfelt thanks goes to all of you who participated and contributed to making this a fun and successful Christmas Bird Count.

Jay Stenger

Compiler

Cincinnati Christmas Bird Count