OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2016

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2016 09:58:46 -0400
An somewhat more quantitative update on the Zanesville chimney swift roost
reported last week:

Last night I re-visited the site I passed during a drive-by at dusk on
August 20.

Between 8:12 and 8:32 PM (August 28) I counted 137 chimney swifts
descending into the humble chimney of the Goss Rental Center, 210 Marietta
St, near the canal and river in the southern section of downtown
Zanesville. This is a very unimpressive chimney only a story tall, maybe
twenty feet. It sits and the northeast corner of the older red brick
building of the Goss complex (consisting of several connected and
disconnected buildings and additions. I haven't researched this fully, but
I think this is probably an old, unlined, and long unused chimney, a
vestige of a former time. There is a streetlight nearby that is taller than
the chimney, and likely lights the exit/entrance with glancing light from
above.

I suspect that more than 137 birds are using this structure, and that the
flock may build as the season progresses. I probably undercounted. Others
may have entered before my arrival.  I can't visit the site nightly, since
it is 12 miles from our farm, and we often have other things to do at dusk.
last night I arranged to have another reason to be in town. Other Muskingum
County birders (or nearby) may want to pitch in to monitor this interesting
site. If so, I appreciate the help. Also, I would welcome the opportunity
to enjoy this phenomenon with others of like mind. Drop me a note!

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell