OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2023

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2023 19:57:17 -0400
I hit Gilmore Sunday dusk - hoping for some flyovers. Maybe a Forsters
Tern - which I need for my big year. No. It was very quiet. Not much flying.
Over 100 Mallards in that NE corner area. With all the rain, it looks like
A good water level. But I wanted a lower level for shorebirds! Oh well.
And no August YC Night heron. I was gone before really dark though.
Barred Owl calling at the south pond. Always a treat. Owls do start calling in
August. Setting up their territories and pair bonding.

I hit Voice of America this morning - Butler. Andrew showed me the spot
He had Sedge Wren last year. Another needed big year species. Nuttin….
I'll try again there in a week. I don't know where else to get Sedge Wren
In Butler with Ellis gone. The storms started. I scanned for shorebirds put
Down. Nothing. The Great Miami River through Butler is going to be good.
It’s going to be a bird movement corridor. I just hope to hit here at the proper
Time - time of day and weather. And my schedule. I like that lower level
Dam area. I park at a park. I forget the name of it. I tried following the hotspot
Directions. No…… not even close to the river.

I drove south. The storms didn’t look bad in Hamilton County. Lost bridge - actually
Looks ok for shorebirds! And the river looks good! Nothing but Killdeer…..
I keep hoping for a Snowy egret for Hamilton. I hit Oxbow in Indiana. Snowy there!

Hopefully I have time to get to Hueston Woods tues. I'll know Tues!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini