OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 2009 15:35:06 -0800
I looked at Lake Erie all along the east side today.  I saw the most Red-breasted Mergansers from Sims Park to around E. 260th St.  There had to be way over 5000 or 6000 of them.

Was at Sims Park in Euclid from 8:30 to 9:30 and then after 11:30.  I was only able to see the Black Scoters approx 16 or 17, Common Goldeneye 4, few Horned Grebes.  The shear volume of Mergansers and the strong cold winds made it hard to find much else different.

One observation at Sims Park not noteworthy to others but to me.  I never see Jaegers.  Usually only seen them on organized bird outings when someone else points them out.  Today (poor lighting) I saw a very dark bird flying very fast like a large tern (very agile) just above the waves, sometimes disappearing below the waves to then see it had moved far ahead of where my scope was following it.   Followed it for over 40 seconds.  Finally it then went down then flew straight up in the air almost like a raptor then it flew higher above the horizon for the first time and continued to the west out of sight.  It looked to me that this was some type of Jaeger.

Wildwood Park Marina
Lesser Scaup 2 female
Bufflehead 4

Nancy Anderson