OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2015 10:52:56 -0400
I decided to explore close to home this morning, Tuesday. From 7:20AM to 9:30AM I walked the sandy shoreline from the west side of the SR225 Bridge to south of Price Street to the outlet channel below The Deer Creek Reservoir Dam. It was a pleasant way to start the day with a nice variety of birds. Of eleven species of shorebirds found, the best finds were 11 American Golden-Plovers west of the SR225 Bridge, and 3 Stilt Sandpipers around the corner south of Price Street. 20+ Pectoral Sandpipers were in the bay below The Deer Creek Dam. The other shorebirds present in good numbers were Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated Plover, Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe, Spotted Sandpiper, and an estimated 150+ Killdeer. In the outlet channel below Deer Creek Dam were good numbers of waterfowl which included Northern Shoveler, Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, Wood Duck, and Mallard. My main objective today was to check out what, I, in the past, have considered the most reliable location in this area to find Buff-breasted Sandpipers. The mudflat peninsula west of the SR225 Bridge, has been an almost sure thing each year. Arrival time and a green mudflat are now. Conditions are perfect. But no Buffies!

Bob Lane / neighboring Mahoning County