OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2016

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2016 07:06:55 -0400
We look forward to seeing you Monday Sept 26 at our first DCBC meeting of
the season. Please note the new social and start time. Guests and students
are welcome.

Special thanks to Christina Voice, our newsletter editor, for her newsletter
contributions. If you want to see the full newsletter please email me
privately. - Darlene Sillick, co program chair

     The Delaware County Bird Club meetings and program presentations take
place on the fourth Monday of each month, September through April, except in
November and December when they are held on alternate days to accommodate
the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays. Meetings are held in the lodge at
Deer Haven Preserve at 4183 Liberty Road, Delaware OH, 43015. Doors open at
the new time of 6:30 PM and programs begin at 7:00 PM and will be followed
by reports of local bird sightings and socializing. Meeting dates can also
be found on the Preservation Parks Calendar at this link:

http://www.preservationparks.com/events-calendar/

September 26th: "Celebrate Ohio's Birds, Bees and Other Pollinators" - Marci
Lininger, USFWS Wildlife Biologist, and Jennifer Windus, retired ODNR

     There are numerous places throughout the state of Ohio that can become
an oasis for Monarchs and other pollinators. It may be in your backyard
garden, at your school, church or place of business. The potential is great
and opportunities exist almost everywhere. From big to small these projects
have the potential to help reverse the decline in Monarch and other
pollinator populations.

Schools, youth and community groups, businesses, and state and local
governments can engage in planting native milkweed and other native plant
species, creating Monarch/pollinator habitat along roadsides, rights of way,
and other public and private lands. By enlisting a broad group of partners,
from school children to CEOs, we will build a connected conservation
constituency. It will take all of us working together, doing "all we can,
where we can" to achieve our goal of providing pollinator habitat across the
state of Ohio.

     Marci Lininger is a graduate of the Masters of Environment and Natural
Resources program at The Ohio State University. She currently works for the
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as a Biologist and transportation liaison.
Marci has studied the use and implementation of wildlife crossings in Ohio
for the last five years including the use of strategic roadside habitats
that enhance use and crossing capabilities. In addition to her regular
duties as a transportation liaison, Marci coordinates the Ohio Pollinator
Habitat Initiative, which is a statewide network of partners who work to
increase pollinator awareness and hands-on habitat creation throughout the
state. Marci is also a college instructor educating students in the fields
of environmental science, ecology and transportation ecology research.

     Jennifer Windus worked at the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for
31 years, retiring in 2014.  She spent 18 years in Natural Areas and
Preserves and 13 years in Wildlife. She keeps busy with four different
Boards now - Ohio Invasive Plants Council (President), Ohio Natural Areas
and Preserves Association (Vice-President), Ohio Prescribed Fire Council
(Chair), and Crane Hollow, Inc. (Vice-President). She also volunteers with
the USFWS and the Division of Natural Areas and Preserves.

October 24th:  - "The Deceptive Beauty of Hawaii; Birds Both Native and
Introduced" - Dr. Richard Bradley and Amy Tovar.

November 14th:  "Common Ground Across Diverse Groups Makes a Difference" -
Michelle Shinew, Community Service Coordinator, Friends of the Sawmill
Wetlands.