OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

From:
chris pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
chris pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:55:03 -0400
I went westward hoping to catch some of the birds reported recently.
First stop was the Norwalk Reservoir:

Wood Duck     10
Great Blue Heron     4
Turkey Vulture     2
Killdeer     2
Mourning Dove     4
Belted Kingfisher     1
Downy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
Eastern Kingbird     1
Warbling Vireo     1
Red-eyed Vireo     1
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     5
American Robin     4
Gray Catbird     2
Cedar Waxwing     4
*Prothonotary Warbler     1*
Common Yellowthroat     1
Grasshopper Sparrow     1
Song Sparrow     1
Red-winged Blackbird     4
Orchard Oriole     1
American Goldfinch     2

Though I missed the reported Yellow-crowned Night Heron, the
Prothonotary Warbler was a nice consolation.

I then headed towards the Bellevue area in search of Stilts, Grebes, and
Phalaropes:

The Stilts were not near the wetland on TR80 on the first attempt to find them. Checked some of the other areas (where they were reported) off of TR 113/TR 62 and still could not locate them. Finally foundwhen I returned to the wetland off of TR80 in the SE corner.
Thanks to Rich from Sandusky for info on area hot spots. I was able to get some great looks of the Stilts through the scope.

Twp Rd 80 South of TR 113/62 Seneca Cty.

Canada Goose     15
Mallard     2
Blue-winged Teal     4
Ruddy Duck     6
Pied-billed Grebe     2
Great Blue Heron     4
Great Egret     6
Turkey Vulture     4
American Coot     3
Killdeer     5
*Black-necked Stilt     2*
Mourning Dove     4
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Horned Lark     X
Cedar Waxwing     X
Red-winged Blackbird     20

Finally I headed north towards Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area

Area D , near the pump house was pretty busy and showing some signs of
perhaps being a decent shorebird area in the near future. The best birds
seen there was an American Avocet.

Canada Goose     X
Mallard     4
Green-wing Teal  4
Great Blue Heron     2
Great Egret     10
Snowy Egret     1
Bald Eagle     1
Common Moorhen     1
Killdeer     40
*American Avocet     1*
Spotted Sandpiper     2
Greater Yellowlegs     1
Least Sandpiper     1
Dunlin     3
Caspian Tern     1
Purple Martin     2
Tree Swallow     20
Sedge Wren     1
Common Yellowthroat     2
Song Sparrow     2
Swamp Sparrow     2
Red-winged Blackbird     25
Orchard Oriole     1
American Goldfinch     3

Also seen from the observation deck were Pied-billed Grebes,  Wood Ducks, Hooded Mergansers, and Ruddy Ducks.

It will be interesting to see if the wetlands in and around Bellevue and the PCWA continue to draw shorebirds in the next few months.

See you on the trails,

Chris Pierce
N. Olmsted, OH