Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 04:55:03 GMT
Dear Ohio-Birds:
Once again this year a pair of red-shouldered hawks has taken up residence in a Berea (Cuyahoga County) neighborhood.  The nest is in a back yard on Franklin Drive, but the birds frequently dive through Wayne Drive, where my parents live on a cul-de-sac. I saw them close together on Wayne Drive in a Magnolia tree last week, just as one had finished off a songbird of some variety. My mother bemoans the fact that the other birds don't come to the feeders now, but my dad has gotten really interested- takes the binocs out and found the nest and one of them is sitting on it now.  It's about three houses down from another red-shouldered nest of two years ago.  Adaptable little things, aren't they?  Does anyone keep track of hawks?
4 years ago we had a red-shouldered nest in a tree line along the CEI (First Energy) right of way as it crosses Nobottom Road in Berea- right across the school from Parknoll Elementary.  However, some prime habitat is now filled with a new housing development- planned the same old way with no green space.  And of course wetlands were filled there.  Before that we had kestrels hunting in the same area.  The right of way under the power lines remains open.  However, First Energy used to mow it once or twice a year and it was filled with wildlife. Now the city of Berea insists that it be mown more often and neighbors have extended their lawns into the area under the wires.  Very little habitat is left, including much of the vernal pools (with at least 3 species of amphibs breeding) and perched wetland is being drained.  We do still have red-tails using the First Energy area for hunting- as well as the neighborhood bird feeders.
Sorry to go on- but this is just an example of what is happening everywhere in the fast developing areas of Ohio.
Yes, I went to city council on the new mowing regs and encroachment (to no avail), and found out too late about the development to effect any change there.  Keep your eyes open and speak up when you get the chance, please.
K. Bradley- Broadview Heights